Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Happy Birthday, Bette!

On this day, April 5, in 1908, Bette Davis was born. When I was a kid watching old movies with my mom, I remember being spellbound with Bette. The only classic movie star to rival my affection for Bette is Judy Garland.


I adored the fact that she could play bad girls and nice girls with equal grace, complexity, and power.

She had her own style. Though today, we value a more naturalistic style of acting. Her performances still stand the test of time because she is authentic.

These are my two favorite quotes by Bette:
Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should ALL be bigger than life.
This has always been a motto of mine: Attempt the impossible in order to improve your work.


These are a few of my favorite Bette films: Marked Woman, Dangerous, The Letter, Dark Victory, It's Love I'm after, All This and Heaven Too, Now Voyager, The Great Lie, The Man who came to Dinner and The Winter Meeting.


Happy Birthday, Bette. Thank you for all the great films and roles you have left behind.
Shellsigna

No comments:

Happy Birthday David

  "Having all that - the fame and adulation and the women and all that stuff they talk about - doesn't make you happy. You have to ...