Friday, December 6, 2013

White Shores

I was really shaken up over the weekend with the unexpected death of Paul Walker. I'm not sure why. I only saw two of the Fast and the Furious series. He did play the bad guy in one of my favorite 90's films: She's All That. Something about his passing touched me. Maybe because he was only 40, the way he passed or that he left a daughter behind. It made me think deeply about living for the day. You can prepare for tomorrow; also, you have to savor the day, the moment right now.



Now, the grand old statesman, Nelson Mandela, died today at 95. He lived a long life. Used his own fight for freedom, dignity and human rights to inspire not only people in South Africa, but the whole world. Though he was sick for a while, his passing wasn't a shock, still his death leaves me pondering too.

Death comes for us all in time. On a misty Friday as I write this, I feel the weight of those who have passed. I don't fear death as I use to because I know I have loved ones waiting for me when my time comes. Still, sometimes I wonder about those who leave us.

I like to think right now as Nelson Mandela is being reunited with his loved ones on the other side. Paul Walker is standing there with a respectful nod to Nelson Mandela. Welcoming him home. Saying it's amazing here.Still, I miss those who are back with the living. And Mandela smiles and responds we will see them all here someday.

Someday.

I'm reminded of what Gandalf says to Pippin in Lord of The Rings.

“PIPPIN: I didn't think it would end this way.

GANDALF: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.

PIPPIN: What? Gandalf? See what?

GANDALF: White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

PIPPIN: Well, that isn't so bad.

GANDALF: No. No, it isn't.”


Have a wonderful weekend everyone. Remember live, my friends.

Shellsigna


2 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Shell, I agree!. I live in the area that Paul Walker's life ended... the area is known for speed racing... (and I am not saying his friend was speeding).... did u hear some sicko was arrested for stealing the hood of the car? while it was (on a truck)at a signal stop?

Jennifer Michelle said...

I too love that part of the Lord of the Rings. After losing my uncle at 55 quite suddenly on an ice fishing trip in March, I am reminded of how precious and fragile life is and how it must be cherished.

Happy Birthday David

  "Having all that - the fame and adulation and the women and all that stuff they talk about - doesn't make you happy. You have to ...